Choplet Raku Weekend Retreat in the Catskills
We are excited to announce our two Fall 2021 Raku Weekend Retreats in the Catskills: 9/24 in the evening to 9/26 and 10/22 in the evening to 10/24. We promise you a very intense and fun experience. You can fire up to 8 of your own bisque ware, 10″ maximum in length, width and height (you can bring a few more if your pieces are smaller). You are welcome to bring your partner to share this exceptional week end with you! Over 20 glazes will be at your disposal to experiment with. Results will vary from turquoise to intense red/bronze to beautiful white crackle. All the white and tan clay body we use in the studio (stoneware, porcelain, buff groggy clay) are compatible with this firing technique.
FEES AND WEEKEND ORGANIZATION:
Raku firing workshop: $340
Sleeping and eating accommodation at Alison’s house in Phoenicia:
$20/person for food
$45/person for weekend accommodation in the house
Accomodations are on a first come, first serve basis. There is room available in the houses for 16 people, sleeping in beds . There is also room for sleeping bags and tents on the property.
Please bring extra Bedding and Sleeping bags if possible. Partners welcome.You can of course choose to sleep somewhere else in the area.
Weekend and food organization:
● Arrive Friday in the evening and we get pizza and salads from Brios ($10 pp)
● Saturday in the morning we have oatmeal, granola, fruit, tea and coffee ($10pp for both days breakfast)
● Raku glazing and firing all day, starting early :)!!!.
● Saturday lunch and dinner – Potluck bring a dish to share. There are a lot of serving bowls at the house. Let us know what you are bringing or ask if your not sure what to bring.
● Bonfire after dinner (BYOB)
● Sunday same breakfast
● Raku firing and House clean up and leisurely exodus
● Lunch eat leftovers
Any help, if available, packing out trash would be highly appreciated.
What to bring beside Pot Luck:
● Layered Cotton Fabric Clothing, No Synthetic Clothing Allowed
● Closed toe shoes
● A respirator with Color Code Olive/Magenta P100 Defender respirator cartridges from North or comparable is recommended
● Ceramic Tools and Paint Brushes
● Drinking vessel
● Extra bedding and sleeping bags
There is a 5pm and a 6pm bus departing NYC on Friday night, that puts you in Phoenicia at 7:54pm and 8:54 pm respectively. The fee is $63 round trip.
Bus schedule to Phoenicia and back
We will come pick you up at the station.
If some of you plan on coming with your own car, please let us know if you would be open to car pooling.
Registration for Raku Workshop:
$150 non-refundable deposit is required to register over the phone or in person. Balance payment is due 4 weeks prior the workshop. Payment online must be made in full.