Choplet Raku Weekend Retreat Upstate
We are excited to announce our 2023 FALL Raku Weekend Retreat Upstate, in Sullivan County. We promise you a very intense and fun experience. You can fire up to 8 of your own bisque ware, 10″ x6″x6′” max (you can bring a few more if your pieces are smaller). Over 20 glazes will be at your disposal to experiment with. Results will vary from turquoise to intense red/bronze to beautiful white crackle as well as naked raku. All the white and tan clay bodies we use in the studio (stoneware, porcelain, buff groggy clay) are compatible with this firing technique. To another exciting, creative, fulfilling and exhausting weekend!
FEES AND WEEKEND ORGANIZATION:
Raku firing workshop: $420
Weekend Sleeping and eating accommodation in the houses, in Jeffersonville, NY: $125/person
Weekend Camping on the ground in Jeffersonville, NY and eating accommodation: $70/person
Commuter fee: Food and miscellaneous participation for people not sleeping on the ground or in the houses: $45/person
Lois will let you know where she has arranged for you to sleep.
You can of course choose to sleep somewhere else in the area and in that case just pay the $45 Commuter fee.
Weekend and food organization:
● Arrive Friday in the late morning/early afternoon. Glaze your pieces.
● Friday dinner with pizza and salads from Brios
● Saturday in the morning: Oatmeal, granola, fruits, tea and coffee
● Raku glazing and firing all day, starting early :)!!!.
● Saturday lunch and dinner – Potluck bring a dish to share. There are a lot of serving bowls at the house. Let us know what you are bringing or ask if you’re not sure what to bring.
● Bonfire after dinner (BYOB)
● Sunday same breakfast
● Raku firing and House clean up and leisurely exodus
● Lunch eat leftovers
Any help, if available, packing out trash would be highly appreciated.
What to bring beside Pot Luck:
● Layered Cotton Fabric Clothing, No Synthetic Clothing Allowed
● Closed toe shoes
● A respirator with Color Code Olive/Magenta P100 Defender respirator cartridges from North or comparable is recommended
● Ceramic Tools and Paint Brushes
● Drinking vessel
● Extra bedding and sleeping bags
You are responsible for getting to the workshop. A few weeks before, we will share a google sheet among the participants so carpooling can be arranged.
Address: 47 Hust Rd, Jeffersonville, NY 12748
Raku firing: click here to see pictures of Raku